Business, Contact geometry, Dialectical behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, emotion, health, Job interview, Marsha Linehan, Marsha M. Linehan, medicine, mental-health, negative emotions, Record label, riding the wave, Skill, Surfing
Let’s Ride the Wave
DBT – Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, is a type of skills based therapy that was developed by Marsha Linehan, and it’s focus is learning tools and skills to empower and individual to be effective in their own life.
Today has been a pretty hard day for me. I’m not good at waiting for thing that are outside of my control, and next week I’m supposed to hear about two job interviews. So, I really just have to wait. I can’t tell you how difficult that waiting is for me. I feel anxious and frustrated, nervous and on edge, I keep questioning myself, and temptations to do behaviors rise…
So today I am riding the wave…. until some of these negative emotions subside.
The “Riding the Wave” Skill is about sitting with and being in an uncomfortable emotion, until it passes. We all know that emotions can come on like a huge crashing wave, but that they do pass; so this skill is just about being present while it does. It prevents pushing the feelings deep inside and having them come up in your life later – often times more intense.
Riding the Wave is hard. I honestly don’t like feelings. But It’s important that we’re able to sit with how we feel. Below is Robert Plutchik’s Wheel of emotions. Can you find how you are feeling on there today?
Let me know how riding the wave is going for you! Once you have identified your emotion make a list of healthy things you can do to deal with them. I listen to music, do art, write, talk to someone about how I am feeling etc. I’d love to hear how “Riding the Wave” is working or not working for you! Use the form below! I’ll respond to everyone who submits something!
YOU are worth spending time on!
- DBT Skill of the Day: Radical Acceptance (whereistandblog.wordpress.com)
- DBT – the therapy that saved my life (whereistandblog.wordpress.com)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and Co-Occurring Disorders (casapalmera.com)
- DBT Skill of the Day: Moment to Pause (whereistandblog.wordpress.com)
- Excellent Article on DBT and Addiction… Please Read (addictionts.com)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Not Just for Mental Illness (psychcentral.com)
- Linehan, creator of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, reveals her own struggles. (traumatherapy.typepad.com)
- How To Treat Binge Eating Disorder (casapalmera.com)
- Bipolar Disorder vs. Borderline Personality Disorder (everydayhealth.com)