What you will Need:
– A PIECE OF CARDBOARD OR PAPER – ANYTHING YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE CREATING YOUR DOODLE ON
– A SHARPIE
– COLORED MARKERS OR CRAYONS – EVEN COLORED PENCILS WOULD WORK NICELY
How it Works:
I thought we could do a fun creative project this weekend that I often use when I need to distract and relax. Doodling is a natural habit that often begins in childhood. Focused doodling can help reduce pain and stress, calm anxiety, and even restore a sense of emotional balance when going through a tough time.
One of the benefits of this activity is that it helps to focus your mind on the here and now. By turning away from worries, planning, overanalyzing, negative thoughts, etc. and focusing on the drawing, you can take a break from stress and allow yourself to relax.
Focus and attention comes with practice – doodling helps us focus attention on a task, while also allowing our minds to relax and move toward a more creative thought pattern.
- On a piece of paper, create your own scribble outline with a sharpie marker. Try to draw the line with one single movement of the pen ~ without lifting your marker.
- After you make your outline, begin to fill in the spaces with small, repetitive doodles ~ add hearts, circles, lines or anything else that comes to mind. Use colored markers and don’t worry about the final image.
- Pay attention to any thoughts that might come to the surface as you create. Notice your thoughts and then let them go.
Remember, it’s not about what you create – it’s about how you create, so have fun and enjoy the process