JMU Dancing with the Stars for Suicide Prevention
JMU Dancing with the Stars for Suicide Prevention was held April 10th at 7pm in Wilson Auditorium at James Madison University in Harrisonburg Virginia. Tickets were two dollars, and student stars and dancers were identified early in the spring semester!
Below was our promo video! Song written and recorded by Annie Lawrence, and video made by JMU student mental health advocates.
The couples that performed are are listed below:
Each couple danced for a mental health initiative and at the end of the night the audience voted using their cell phones.
- Adjusting to college: Daniel Wagner and Amy Goffe: Salsa
- Anxiety and Stress: Matt Klein and Stefanie: Hip Hop
- Relationship in College: Vicky Allison and Cameron Richards: Swing
- Depression: Mina Imbs and Ann Vespestad: Contemporary
- Eating Disorders: Cheyenne Facchina and Rebecca Walker: Hip Hop
- Crisis intervention/prevention: Pat Obrien and Sarah Janser – Latin Jazz/Salsa
- Suicide Prevention: Stefan and Stephanie Carney: Swing/ Blues
The Judges for the event were:
- Dr. Mark Warner – Vice President of the University
- Professor David Daniel – Psychology Department
- Sylivia Hannah – Varner house Counselor
- Proffessor Jamie Kurtz – Psychology Department
The Host for the evening was be Melissa Ann Hopely
Author and Motivational and Inspirational Speaker. For that night she was speaking on behalf of the minding your mind foundation!
#JMUhopestrong Video that we made for our host: Melissa Ann Hopely as a part of her #hopestrong movement. The song was composed and recorded by Melissa Ann Hopely herself, and the video was made by me with a collection of pictures of what myself and the other JMU Student mental health advocates had done on JMU’s campus during the 2012-2013 school year.
More photos and fun!